Torpedo Bay, Devonport, Auckland, 2010
in association with HMA and Opus
NZIA Auckland Architecture Award 2011
This is a contemporary museum facility on a prominent waterfront site in the seaside suburb of Devonport, Auckland. Ken Davis Architects worked in association with HMA and Opus to relocate the Navy Museum into the historic 1890's Minelaying Buildings at Torpedo Bay. The museum includes exhibition and gallery spaces, a classroom, meeting room, administration functions and cafe. Some of the spaces open directly out onto landscaped exterior exhibition spaces and a proposed maritime park, which connects historic North Head with the waterfront boulevards of Devonport.